4th Sunday in Advent B20
Today we meet two important people in salvation history. David and Mary were both chosen by God. One represents the historical past; the other, the future.
- One had a checkered past; one was free from sin.
- One was a king living in Jerusalem; one was a peasant girl living in Nazareth.
- One brought two groups of tribes living in Judah and Israel to be one nation; one brought two natures dwelling in her womb become one person.
- One had plans for a Temple changed by God; one had her womb become a Temple for the Word of God.
- One waged war and brought death to his enemies. One brought the one who is victorious over our greatest enemies, sin and death.
- One committed adultery. One lived a pure relationship in marriage.
- One we know many details about his life from Scripture. One we know little about from Scripture.
- One was famous on earth. One is our intercessor in heaven.
- One was guided by God. One was favored by God.
- Both mourned a son who was killed. One grieved for days afterward. One rejoiced after three days.
- One was a king on earth. One is Queen of Heaven.
History will come to an end.
But, the future is bright for eternity, all because of the handmaid of the Lord saying her fiat, may it be done to me according to your word. Hail Mary, full of grace!