As concern grows about the spread of the Coronavisus, Archbishop Blair has requested the following precautionary measures for parishes in the Archdiocese of Hartford:
- SIGN OF PEACE: The sign of peace should be exchanged without physical contact like hand-shaking; or else the call to exchange a sign of peace should simply be omitted.
- BLOOD OF CHRIST: The distribution of Holy Communion via the chalice should be suspended; celebrants and assisting deacons should receive only by intinction.
- BODY OF CHRIST: Communion on the tongue should be strongly discouraged
- COLLECTION BASKET: There should be minimal handling of collection baskets, by ushers only.
- HOLY WATER FONT: Holy water fonts should be emptied.
- GOOD HYGIENE: All clergy and Eucharistic ministers are urged to practice good hygiene, washing their hands before Mass, or even using hand sanitizer before and after distributing Holy Communion.
- MASS ATTENDANCE: The faithful are reminded that if they are sick or experiencing symptoms of sickness, they are not obligated to attend Mass, and that out of charity, they ought not to attend.